Wondering what I'm talking about? Today, we finally joined the church we have been visiting now for almost a year (we're about a month shy of a year).
Honestly, in the beginning, I really didn't think we would end up at this church. Our preference was a church that was a little farther away. But, God had something else in store. I'm so thankful He did and He's the one in control.
Over the last 11 months at our church Jon and I both have grown more spiritually than we have in years upon years combined. Jon and I talk about this quite often. One day Ash over heard us and said, "Yeah, all y'all talk about now is the Bible." Sweet, sweet words!!!
I never ever thought I would find as loving of a church family of what we came from. Dayspring, our old church, wasn't the biggest church, didn't have the best programs, but it had incredible music and people that would love the socks off of ya!!! I didn't think that would exist anywhere else.
Boy, was God going to prove me wrong!!! Dayspring will always have a special place in my heart. I made special friendships there that I still carry with me. I went through so much during our 8 years at that church. I learned, I grew, I fell, I scraped my knee a couple of times, but I was always surrounded by people who loved me.
After we left the people I missed the most were the older ladies. . . Granny, Lane-Lane, Nannie, Shay-Shay. . .those good Southern cooks who made me want to sit under them and have cooking lessions for hours. I still saw all of my close friends. Now, I've found me some new older ladies at our church to love on. . . Ms. Jean being one of my favorites :) She teases me about my high heels. . . Yes, me and my high heels have already developed a reputation at our new church.
I don't know when our now church started feeling like home, but I know it was very soon. When I was waiting on Jon to get finished talking so we could leave. . . I knew it must be love - hee!hee! It was amazing how these people wrapped their arms around us and loved on us. . . how everyone was so friendly in this big church (Dayspring was a really small church). Our kids love it, we love it. It is GREAT!!
Although there's great people, great programs, great Bible curriculum, etc., the thing that we love most would be our pastor. He's a man of great conviction. One of the most sincerest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He preaches the Word of God. . . not just the touchy-feely parts, but the whole counsel of God's word.. . even the hard stuff. . .controversial issues, tough doctrine. He truly loves his flock and it is evident by his actions. Jon and I am so honored to call him both our pastor and our friend. I've alwyas been a girl who had favorite Bible teachers, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur being my top two. I've never been at the point where I could say my pastor was my favorite teacher of the Word of God. Now? Well, now, for the first time in my life I can say, without hesitation, that my pastor is my favorite Bible teacher.
We are so very honored and blessed to now be "home folk".
4 comments:
Having a good church home is so important. So glad you've found that special place and made it official! :)
And I am so excited!! How did I miss it?? I was in the nursery yesterday morning and children's choir last night so I guess that is how I missed it! Yeah!!!!!! I love you all and am glad to have you as church family too!!
Love hearing about church families...we feel the same about ours (though it wasn't one we thought we would ever attend either)...funny how God has plans that we don't! LOL
Come by Southern Somedays, I have some preppy love for you:
http://southerness.blogspot.com/2010/03/preppy-love.html
Finally...I'm catching up over here!!
I'm just so excited b/c I know the feelings associated here. I am so happy you found that special place. I love you!
Post a Comment