Thursday, September 10, 2009

10 on the 10th

Nine years ago today at 7:35 AM I gave birth to one of the greatest joys in my life . . . Ashley was born on this day, and our world has not been the same since. In honor of Ash's birthday and Meredith's 10 on the 10th, I'm going to list 10 things I love about my sweet girl.

1. Her ability to gel where ever we are or whatever we are doing. . . but always staying true to herself. She can hang with the boys or get dressed up with the girls. I will never forget the day when she was 3 years old. She prances into our old church with a spider man shirt on (that belonged to Alec) and a pair of dress-up high heels. . . my kinda' girl.

2. Her silliness. . . Ash is the queen of silliness and she has one of those infectious giggles that you can make you laugh right along with her. Her giggle can truly make me laugh until my belly hurts.

3. Her thoughtfulness. One day she'd been saving up all of her change that she had collected from various places. Rather than spending the money on herself, she wanted time to be with me and me only. She treated me to CiCi's pizza with all of the money she'd worked so hard to save. Most children. . . heck, even most adults . . . wouldn't spend their money they'd worked so hard for to do something as selfless as this.

4. She has a heart of gold. This girl loves with her whole entire heart. . . no walls, no borders, no boundaries. She loves those around her with everything she's got.


5. When Webster wrote the definition to feisty, I hope he had Ashley in mind . . . because this girl is the very definition of feisty. I'm telling you, she can hang with the boys . . . outrun them, outsmart them, and outwit them. Nothing stops her. She is a ball full of determination.

6. Her persistence. . . We always say she needs to be a salesman. . . . because the kid will not take no for an answer. She will ask you the same question 500 different ways and keep asking and asking and asking. The word "No" does not scare Ashley. I really believe in her head she has this taped invisibly to the front of her brain, "If someone says No, just ask again. They'll change their mind." The thing is she also can do it in a way that is very charming. . . she is such salesman material. In this picture she was bound and determined to "fish" the hardest ring there was to catch. She persisted. . . and persisted. . . . and persisted. The girl thinks there is not anything she can't do. Around here we say Ash's philosophy is "Go BIG or go home." I love this about her!!!

7. Her servant's heart. This child teaches me so very much about serving. She is always willing to help and does so without complaining (unless it is kitchen duty . . . I have to be honest on that one). She is such an eager beaver to help, to serve, and to please . . . with a pep in her step.
8. She is a giver. I know I'm quite a bit partial because I am her mom, but those who know Ash would testify to this one. She is one of the most giving people I have ever known in my whole entire life . . . adults, kids, the elderly, whatever. . . Ash tops the cake when it comes to giving. She would truly give someone the very shirt on her back in freezing cold weather. . . and give it joyfully and insistently. Her giving inspires me, encourages me, and makes me ever so proud. She gives away her toys . . . even things that are new to her. Just about every time a child comes to our home, Ash will make sure they leave with something. I just love this picture of she and Hanna with their American Girl dolls. Ash would probably even give her American Girl doll to someone . .. if I'd let her.

9. She's such a hard worker. Hard work is something I admire in people, and Ashley is a very hard worker . . . even when she can't "get" something she will keep trying and trying until she does.

10. She gives the very best hugs . . . EVER!!! Just like she loves with her whole heart, she holds nothing back when it comes to a hug. She'll wrap her whole body around you if she could.

Ash, you are one of the very best gifts God has ever given me. You are an encouragement, an inspiration, and a breath of fresh air to all who are in your presence. I love your zest and zeal for life . . . never lose that sweet girl. I can't believe you are 9 today. Although there is much excitement in the air, there are tears in your Mama's eyes because I feel time is flying by too quickly. Oh how I wish I could just freeze it and keep you right where you are forever. . . right here with me. I love you more than you could ever know . . . yes, baby girl, even more than you love me. And one day, my sweet bundle of joy, you will have a child and you will see that a mother's love can never be measured. It goes beyond the deepest depth or the highest height.
Thank you Lord for the life of Ashley. She is certainly a gift I truly do not deserve. She is a living, breathing, walking example of your grace, and I thank you and praise you that you have entrusted her to Jon and I. How I pray Lord that in everything she does she seeks to glorify you, to live all of her days loving you, trusting you, and serving you. Thank you Lord for an incredible 9 years.



10 comments:

Julie said...

Love this! Happy Birthday Ash!!!!

Tiffani said...

I'm here to testify to all that you said about that sweet girl!!!

She has taught my JuJu to be quite the giver and it just blows my sister away every time we go to her house, JuJu has to take something to give to the girls and she learned it from Ash.

Happy birthday, Ashley, I feel like you partially belong to me...I love you very much and I can't wait to see what God has in store for your life...You are a precious girl!!

Faith said...

You had me crying too! And to top it all off, not only does she act like her Mama, but she is the spitting image of you too!

Happy birthday, sweet Ashley!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Happy Birthday Ashley..(I have an Ashley too..and you are right...time goes WAY to fast...my Ash will be 21 soon)

I LOVE your list...dedictated to your Ashley!!

Blessings.

Frugal Finds said...

Hope she has a wonderful birthday!!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

After reading this, I love Ashley too!

How sweet, and happy birthday to her!

Rayna said...

Happy Birthday my sweet Ashley. You have touched my life in so many ways. You are truly a precious gift from God and I am so thankful He made you to be my precious grand-daughter. I love you very much.

Nanna

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday to Ashley!!
My Nathan turned 9 today also! What a great day!!

Anonymous said...

I have a cousin named Ashley and you could just have easily been describing her. Maybe it's the name!

I hope she enjoyed every minute of her birthday!

really.truly said...

This is such a sweet post Michele! Your Ash sounds like a doll....I hope she had a wonderful birthday!