Saturday, September 5, 2009

An Inquiring Mind Wants to Know . . .

Well, well now. . . next Saturday we all will be celebrating Ash's 9th birthday . . . 9 years have come and gone so quickly with this "fresh breath of air" little girl being in my life. As I am planning for her birthday party I always dread goody bags. It this just so very awful of me? When Alec and Ash were much smaller I'd really do up some goody bags for the guests, then after I had Hanna I just needed simple . . . so I just started stuffing a bunch of candy in bags.

But, is all of this really even necessary? Please don't think I'm being a prude . . . but maybe I am. Most of the stuff that my kids bring home in goody bags is just junk . . . junk that eventually gets thrown away. And candy? Like we need more sugar invading our teeth or our diets. My kids need more sugar like they need a hole in their head.

Does anyone remember when we all were growing up going to birthday parties and anticipating a goody bag? I know I don't. I was excited about seeing my friends and getting to eat cake and ice cream.

Sometimes I think it is pressure we moms feel from other moms . . . "well, they gave out goody bags at so and so's party, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings." that sort of thing.

And it is not just my kids' birthday parties that I feel this way about goody bags with . . .it's other children also. I want to teach my children it is better to give than to receive . . . truly. That a birthday is about celebrating that particular person's life . . . not about what my kid is going to "get" from the party.

I'd love to know all of your thoughts on the goody bag thing. I applaud my friends who no longer do goody bags and who don't feel guilty about it either. See, I may not do goody bags, but I'll feel guilty about it.

What do you all think?

8 comments:

Tiffani said...

Girl, this is a HUGE soapbox for me...i can't stand them. Think it's foolish if a kid EXPECTS them at a party...

The "prize" is being invited, spending time w/ a friend, playing a game, maybe, and getting cake and ice cream...

So, yes, I've given in to the pressure before but decided if we were to do something like that it'd be a party favor..like JuJu's leis at the Hawaiian party...

Revolt!!! You can do it and I'll support you!! ;)

Christy Laster said...

i think you're right. and i think it's like most things in life, it's one more thing that we feel guilty about if we don't. (at least until we come to a different conclusion, like you just did.) :)

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

I SO totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't do candy in my sons last one b/c one of his friends gets Crazy on sugar....that same boy proceeds to ask where is the candy...goodie bags are supposed to have candy. Then at another bday party at Chucky Cheese that same kid said where are the treat bags...um...was playing all the games not enough!!!!!!

Be an initiator...don't do the treat bags...maybe other moms will follow suit!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

My kids don't have a party every year, but when we do, the birthday girl/boy usually gives her/his friends a "thank you" gift. Not necessarily a treat bag.

This year, Sarah has her party at the bead shop. The girls "treat" was their necklace and earrings.

One year she had a scrapbooking party. The "goodie bags" were filled with paper/stickers/punches that were extras from my stash.

I refuse to buy candy or junk just to have something to give away.

Rayna said...

The games you have for the kids to play and the treasure hunt is good enough. Whom ever the birthday party is for, it is their special day. I never gave out goody bags and kids always had a good time. When I was a kid I never went to a birthday party that gave out goody bags either. I remember the games we played were the best part of the party. We live in such a materialistic society, children need to be taught that a birthday is to honor a special person, not to receive a prize for attending. Goody bags can be expensive especially if you have alot of kids attending. My vote is to forget the goody bags and candy bags. Children should be thankful they are invited to the party any way.
Love ya, Mama

Jen said...

Wow! Don't you just love "moms" wisdom and advice!

I love it. I will follow suit and not do party favors for my son's birthday coming up. I to feel the gift is the party itself, after all we as moms go above and beyond for our children and they do need to learn to be grateful for just that!
I am new to blogging and just love yours!!

Jen in California

really.truly said...

I'm with Tiff...revolt!! I'm not a fan of goody bags and think they are not necessary!

Kristie said...

I gave up on goody bags several years ago. I remember the first year I quit giving them out, Peyton had a bounce house party and one of her friends asked for her goody bag. I told her there were no goody bags, that her prize was getting to come to the bounce house. I have had so many moms thank me for no goody bags! So go for it, no bags!