Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship with Tuesday

The caption under the picture of my blog reads, "A peek into the life of a homeschooling and working mother's live who loves her Lord, her family, her friends, and her high heels." Well, I don't think I have ever told the "working" part of my life.

On my profile it says I am in real estate. I am a licensed real estate agent. I mainly do work for my hubby, listing his properties (I do a little bit on the side if I get a referral from a friend or something, but it really isn't much). Real estate is what pays the bills and feeds the family. The commission I get from listing Jon's properties is what we refer to as our "fun money." These days with real estate being like it is we don't have very much "fun money" *smile*.

Well, like most women, I juggle many balls in the air. One of those balls requires me to wake up at 4:00 a.m. every morning. I have been a medical transcriptionist for the last 10 years. This is a job my hubby has told me I can quit, but for whatever reason I don't believe the LORD has released me from it yet. It is really easy and pretty good money. Plus, it keeps me from becoming lazy, and, I really like it. I set my own hours. I am just one of those early bird people. Since my mind is sharpest in the morning and I'm dealing with people's medical records I chose to get up bright and early, hoping to finish working before everyone else in the house wakes up.

I try to be finished by 8:00 a.m. and it normally works out pretty well as long as there are no interruptions for the hubby, kiddos, facebook, blogging, etc. Some days I really have to exercise self control or otherwise I am working until 10:00 a.m. and then school gets WAY out of whack.

Okay, back to my love/hate relationship with Tuesday. Tuesday is the day Alec and Ash to go what we call "homeschool school." It is a private school around here that allows homeschoolers to come in and take classes. It really is the best of both worlds. I love it and my kiddos love it! It is almost like the go to school one day a week. The best part of it is the Science and History they teach there is the same curriculum I would use here at home (that makes me love it even more). This is the part I LOVE about Tuesdays.

Anyhoo . . . being that the kids have been homeschooled from day one, sometimes it is very, very difficult to have everyone dressed and out the door and on time!! I have their uniforms ironed and lunches made the night before. The kids wake themselves up with their alarm clocks. Thankfully I have pretty self motivated kids, so they really make it easy. So . . . why so hard to get out of the door and be on time?

W-O-R-K

Everyone comes in and out of my office . . . back and forth. I have to stop and cook them breakfast. I sometimes wish I would lighten up and quit being so darn anal about eating healthy. You see, things like pop tarts, cereal really never enter my house. Yes, I am one of those types. Please forgive me *smile* So I stop typing, which makes me slower when I start back, and cook everyone breakfast. With typing lots and lots like I do, it is one of those things where once you get on a roll you are Speedy Gonzalez. If you ever stop, you have to work your momentum up again.

My goal on Tuesdays is to always be finished with work before I take the kiddos to HSS. Every Tuesday it NEVER fails - I get back home with my work unfinished. I then have to sit back at the computer and work and it just really seems to drag on. This is the part I HATE about Tuesdays. UGGGHH! I have even tried working some on Monday nights and still I have more work to finish after I drop off the kids.

I really need to stop being so anal about wanting to be finished with work before I take them.

For some awful reason too I have made Tuesday my grocery store day. Probably because I only have to take 1 kid with me rather than all 3. I HATE the grocery store!! Yet, another thing I HATE about Tuesdays!

When the kids first started going to HSS I have visions of me scrapbooking all day with Hanna, getting a little snuggle time with her, maybe having lunch with a friend or 2. I envisioned on some of my Tuesdays I would get out the sewing machine and be creative.

Well those have just been visions of sugar plums I guess. Most of my Tuesdays consist of working later than I like, going to the grocery store, unloading groceries, cleaning up the house, rushing to get the kids on time. WOW - somethings gotta give so Tuesday and I can have a love/love relationship!!!

Well. . . I'd better go. I've got to go put on my makeup and fix my hair so I will be presentable to go to swim practice. Something I LOVE about Tuesdays!

8 comments:

Heather said...

I am tired from just reading this!! You are super-woman!!! I wish I was an early bird....but I am a night owl! I used to be able to get up at 5 each morning to run, but I don't know if I could ever do that again!
I loved hearing about your day....and again, I AM IMPRESSED!

Tiffani said...

Okay...you know me...a fixer...

Here's my ideas (not that you asked b/c you were just venting, I'm sure)...

1. Go to the grocery store after family time and your nap on Sunday...the store is less crowded..Jon can keep ALL the kids therefore you're more efficient..and you won't be cutting majorly into your Sunday routine...go like at 7pm--come home, unload groceries and go to bed...no extra rushing.

2. I know you don't do cereal or poptarts BUT just for Tuesday Mornings have a "Special Breakfast" Day...buy ONE box of poptart..toaster strudel...toaster waffles (not of each) just enough to feed them for that ONE morning! That way they're not bugging you the rest of the week about "can't we have a pop tart?" That way if it's something like Poptarts..you could already have that and drinks made sitting on the table and once they are dressed they can go sit down and eat...

4. I would reiterate to the kiddos..."do I interrupt you in your class/while taking a test/wed. night church" and how important that this is for your family...that they ALL benefit from YOUR working...

5. It may be hard for EVERY Tues. but at least ONE Tue. a month--make that your time to come straight home and play with Hanna, craft, sew--whatever!

Okay...I'm done...I just know how you are my overachiever friend :) and I want you to feel as little stress as possible!! I love you!

Jennifer Thrasher said...

Hey Michele,
Hope ya'll had a wonderful Christmas....from reading your blog, it seems as though you did!! :) I have so enjoyed reading your blog and have told several of my friends about it. It inspires me! Have a great Wednesday!
Jennifer Thrasher

Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

You are definitely a super woman! There is no way I could get all of that done! I hope you can find something to help with all of the chaos Tuesday mornings so you will have that love/love relationship! Could you fix something easier, but still healthy for breakfast? Do they like fruit smoothies? My kids love a bowl of oatmeal and a fruit smoothie!

edie said...

I love the 4a bit....I USED to get my best work done then...until I had a baby puppy who wants to snuggle and play and chew. Good luck getting it all done!

Tricia said...

Yes, you are a super-woman. You have a really nice blog. Thanks for the kind words that you send so often. I hope to set up a webpage and really get going with ideas for the home.

n*stitches said...

Hi Michele! Thanks for visiting my job! It is very cool that you live so close! My husband works in Griffin! I teach at a small private school in Meriwether county in addition to sewing. My kids go here so itis nice that we are all on the same schedule and I can be so close during the day (though it is not easy to get out the door!) I LOVE your family picture on your blog! Did someone close by take that?? Have an awesome blessed day (now that it isn't Tuesday)!

Frugal Finds said...

I ahve stopped stressing about "healthy" breakfast here. We have gone to breakfast you can fix yourself. Donuts, poptarts and cereal are ok with me! As long as DD drinks a glass of milk and DS has a glass of oj with calcium... well I am happy! I just make sure they eat a really good dinner. Lunch is at school and it is all about learning to make your own choices... with some coaching from mom!