Monday, January 19, 2009

Memorization Monday

As I've already admitted, I've been pretty lax in memorizing scripture lately. Having some accountability is so good for me. I am really and truly loving this! Here is my scripture for this week:

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14.

The one thing about I am loving about memorizing scripture is the power of hiding God's word in my heart. It really is keeping me from sinning. Do you know how many times last week I wanted to say something unwholesome that was not building others up? Lots! I was never really even aware of things I would just spout out of my mouth, especially if I was wronged or hurt by someone. Just as I was about to spit out what was on the tip of my tongue, the Holy Spirit brought to my mind my scripture from last week. I then had to fight the temptation to keep my mouth shut, but with the Holy Spirit's power was able to prevail.

*a little side note here* I've had pretty good restraint with my tongue wtih saying unwholesome things about other people in front of other people. I've always just saved it all for Jon's ears, rationalizing in my mind, that we are one in the eyes of the LORD. But, guess what? Jon needs to be encouraged by the things I say too, and as I learned last week, I should speak things that encourage others. If I am talking in a negative away about someone, whether Jon cares or not, I am still not encouraging his walk with the LORD by my speech, by being disobedient to what God says, and by grieving the Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

Tiffani said...

such true words...I already memorized this one! Can it count for this week???

I'm so encouraged by your faithfulness!

Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

I LOVE this verse! It is one of the best ones in my opinion!