Monday, July 14, 2008

Indiana Jones Birthday Party

Saturday we celebrated Alec's birthday with his friends. He had an Indiana Jones birthday. In our subdivision we have a pavilion and a park, so since all of my children have summer birthdays, this is where we always celebrate them with our families and friends. It works out great because I always have a clean house after the party. Earlier in the day I headed down to the park to arrange a treasure hunt. After all, Indiana Jones hunted for treasures, so I thought these kids should to. I have to admit I had been kind-of dreading it. This southern heat is HOT! I really didn't want to try and have to be creative in it, but that's a mother's love for your right? Much to my surprise I had so much fun getting this together. Most of these boys are between 10 and 12 so I really wanted it to be somewhat of a challenge. I would just giggle to myself as I would put out the clues. Most of the clues would tell them to take so many steps in whatever direction and then they would be given another clue that would tell them the general area they could find the clue. For example, one of the clues said, "This clue is sure to LIGHT your way," and the clue was hidden under a light. I must say I was really pretty proud of myself:) We are at the end of the treasure hunt and the kids are anxious to find the treasure. I am hyping it up about the treasure being near. This is so TYPICAL me - we can't find the treasure. I am not kidding you. I could not find it at all. Several of the adults were looking with me. I described to them I had marked out a place for it so that I would not lose it. I decided to get the last clue from one of the boys and then retrace the steps myself. Badabing Badaboom I found it. So I started playing the hot/cold game to try to get the kids to find it. Here it is Alec's birthday and the very last person in the world he would want to find the treasure (which had $5 in it) did - Ashley, his sister. She was ecstatic!!! He was mad!! I believe if I would have let him he would have wrestled her to the ground to steal the treasure from her, just like Indiana Jones.
He did have a great party though. He got a lot of cool gifts he would never have thought to ask for. My dad got him a boom box, and he has so enjoyed jamming in his room. He got a fishing pole and all the fixins' to go with it from my mom and stepdad that he couldn't wait to cast out and catch a fish in the pond. The funniest gift he got was from his GiGi and Granddaddy. He got a box of Club crackers and some Easy Cheese. The boy was so happy!!!
The Birthday Boy
Treasure Hunters

Hidden Treasure


Alec and I hanging out listening to his new boom box




1 comment:

Tiffani said...

a boy after my own heart...LOVING food as a gift from someone :) I hate we missed it but I'm so proud of your creativity and your willingness to go the extra mile to make Alec feel special on his birthday (even in the atrocious summer heat)...