Monday, May 9, 2011

Griswold Momemts

There are several "Griswold Moments" Jon and I had while in Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm so thankful I have a husband as fun as Jon to share life's moments with . . . the good, bad, and ugly. . . and oh yeah, i should probably throw embarrassing in there somewhere. Thankfully, neither Jon nor I take ourselves too seriously. If we did, we'd be a in heap of trouble.

***We decided to rent a car for a few days and I could, of course, make this story really long. So, I'll try for the short version. Long story-short. We were told it would be $10 a day (or something like that to rent the car). Can you tell we've never done this before? We were stoked! Get to the rent-a-car place, and they tell us something about having insurance. They scare you to death and act like if you get a scratch on the car you're going to have to put your children up for random. Jon asked how much? $23. Fine and good. He tells us our final total. . . something in the ballpark range of $150 (maybe more or less, my memory fails me). Jon got a tad bit upset. I was afraid we were about to have a repeat of a time share episode (I'll have to share this later). I braced myself. Thankfully it wasn't. We just said never mind. So, we proceeded to another kiosk of rent-a-cars. Basically the same thing happened with the whole insurance thing. They apparently meant $23 a day and not for the entire time you rent a car. While Jon and I were trying to decide what we were going to do, I told him, "I bet if you don't get the insurance, they come to your hotel (they do get the name of where you're staying), find the car, and beat it in with a hammer." I was delirious and excessively giggly. . . I was just kiddin'. We humbled ourselves and went back to the 1st rent-a-car place. While redoing all of the stinkin' paperwork Jon tells the man, "My wife said. . . . and he basically repeated what I'd said about them beating the car in." He was the sweetest Mexican man and said with a giggle and maybe a snort (just kiddin' about the snort). "No, no, that only happens in the movies." Doggonit Jon!!! I didn't know he was going to tell of my ugliness :)


***So the next evening after renting the car we go to the parking deck to go and use the car. We went to the left of the deck. . . NO CAR!!!! Then we went to the right of the deck . . . NO CAR!!!!We were on the verge of a slight freak out. . . seriously. I was thinking it'd be just like the Lord to humble us after I was playfully ugly about the rent-a-car folks. Jon and I were booking it across the parking lot, anxiously trying to find the car. Great! Hope the insurance covered a stolen car. Guess what? We were in the wrong parking deck!!!!!!!! Clarke Griswold would be ever so proud!



***When we sent to the strip we decided to park at the Bellagio. We went around the deck 1 time, then another. We saw a mustang parked like it was waiting for someone, not parked in one of the rows. Jon then said, "Are we going around and around the same deck?" Me: "No baby, there was a mustang parked there and it's not there anymore. Well, after about 4 more times we realized we WERE circling the same deck over and over and over again. Every parking deck Jon and I have been on was the circular kind. We'd never been on one where you have to exit the deck to get to the neck one.


***On the strip I was already slightly freaked out about all that my eyes were seeing. Also, all that my spirit was feeling. . . such darkness and blatant sin. Anyone can be on the streets there, homeless, musicians, Disney characters, human statutes, WHOever and WHATtever. There were these people with 2 snakes wrapped around their necks. I clung to Jon tightly and said in my louder than normal voice, "Snakes, do you see those snakes? Those people have snakes on them?" Well, right beside them was this man with a baby tiger beside him, "Jon, Jon, do you see that? He has a baby tiger out here? Look at that!!! Oh.my.goodness.!!!!" I was actually freaking out!

Jon replied, "Babe, that's a stuffed animal."

No comments: