This year instead of making a grateful list I'm going to turn things that I'm normally tempted to complain about into things to be thankful for. . .
1. I'm thankful for my job. Although in a perfect world, in a perfect situation, I'd rather not work. . . I have a great job. . . a job that allows flexibility (somewhat), allows me to be at home with my kids and only takes up about 1-2 hours of the time they are actually awake. It allows us to pay our bills and not lack for anything we need. I'm grateful that my boss finds me dependable and requires a good bit from me, especially when others are out of town.
2. I'm thankful for a sink full of dishes and the never ending piles of laundry. Dirty dishes means our tummies are full and dirty clothes means we have clothing to keep us warm.
3. I'm thankful for an adolescent, smart-mouth, sometimes disrespectful and dishonoring boy. Because every time he speaks in a harsh way to me, it gives me an opportunity to direct him and correct him with the word of God.
4. I'm grateful for whiny, disobedient, hyper, and loud children. This means they are healthy and here at home with me. They are full of energy and not filled with fatigue. They embrace life to the fullest and teach me how to live life fully.
5. I'm grateful for all of the things I have to juggle. This teaches me that I am far more capable of handling things that I otherwise think I couldn't do.
6. I'm grateful that my alarm goes off at 4:00 a.m. This means that I am healthy enough and have enough energy to get out of bed and work.
7. I'm grateful for the dog pee and poop I have to clean up. This means I've been blessed with an incredible dog that I love in spite of himself.
8. I'm grateful for family members that are sometimes hard to get along with . . . whether it is because I think they don't like me or we have nothing in common. . . this stretches me and teaches me to love people even when I don't want to or don't feel like it.
9. I'm grateful for my tight jeans. This means I am well fed and being super skinny, like less than a size 2 or right now a size 2 for that matter, isn't as high as a priority as it used to be.
10. I'm grateful that I don't have much time to myself to read, scrapbook, sew, or knit. . . it means I am out enjoying life with OTHERS.
11. I'm grateful for a slow economy and a husband who doesn't have a job. This means we really know who meets our needs . . . not our jobs or our bosses. . but The Boss, God. It gets us on our knees more, ever more depending on His provision. This also means that maybe, just maybe. . . Jon will be forced to take a job that otherwise he'd be fearful of taking or wouldn't want to pursue. . . and maybe from that he will find the fulfillment he desires and God's will for his life will revealed to him. Also it gives us lots of time together, which I can't think of a better way to spend my days other than with those I love the most.
3 comments:
Wow, Michele. This is so amazingly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your heart.
I'm already thinking about my own complaints and how they are really praises.
LOVE IT.
Awesome way of looking at things. It's the "glass half full" way :)
We can watch and see how the Lord directs our husband's career steps...scary and exciting at the same time :)
Love ya!
Beautiful thoughts and perspective my dear.
I love you.
Post a Comment