Tuesday night things got all changed around. . . . Alec got sick and was running fever. We decided we would "play things by ear" and at worst, we could leave Thanksgiving morning to go see our family.
We even bounced around going to Ryan's and picking up food to bring home if we had to stay here. I told my sweet friend Lisa (I would link to her blog but she NEVER blogs) this. . . she was NOT having it!!! She insisted that we come over to her house . . . or she would bring us food to our house. I told Jon. He said that's what we'd do. I'm so grateful to have friends that are more like family. . . Friends that we can invite over for hot dogs and not a fancy meal. . . friends that we can call up and say, "Wanna come watch a movie".. . . friends that we can talk with for hours or saying nothing at all.
Thanksgiving morning I was in such a funk. . . I was mix of melancholy and mad. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and although Jon and the girls would have gone to Tim's and Lisa's and brought Alec and I back lunch. . . it just didn't feel like Thanksgiving. It wasn't eventful like every other year had been. We almost always go either to my grandparents or Jon's parents. It was just like an ordinary day.
Then my sweet hubby got on the Internet and started looking up recipes. He planned our menu, took the girls to the grocery store and got all the ingredients. The girls and I were going to cook our first Thanksgiving meal. I was so very excited. This was going to be a very special day with the smell of turkey and dressing coming from the kitchen. . . .except for one thing. . .
Although I put the turkey in cold water. . . it didn't thaw. . . so Jon went out again and got an already cooked Rotisserie chicken.. .
Ashley made the corn souffle all by herself. She read the directions and did the whole thing from start to finish without me. I'm so proud of her.
I looked like nothing short of death warmed over. . . so I'd only allow Ash to take a picture of my apron.. . .the apron I NEVER wear. . . it's cute as can be though. ..
The boys watched a movie. Ash would giggle and say, "The boys are the couch potatoes and we are the sweet potatoes."
Hanna made sweet potato souffle and blackberry cobbler.
Ash also made the cornbread dressing with a little help from me.
I did have a little bit of Thanksgiving past with me. . . these brown and serve rolls. My Grandmama fixes them for every meal. I think she and Papa must have stock in these rolls because she fixes them so much . . . just kidding.
Now my table was not decorated for the fall or anything. . . so I had to do the best I could on the spur of the moment. I even lit the candles.
Ash and Hanna made these place cards for everyone as a surprise. . .
5 comments:
I am so sorry Alec was sick and that your plans had to change, but it sure looks like you made the best of it. The food looks delicious!
Sometimes "Plan B" (or C or D) turns out to be the best plan of all.
Sounds absolutely PERFECT. (minus the sick youngun')
And I'm with Whimz...sometimes the best plans aren't the ones we planned.
And don't you know the girls will remember this day forever! Memories, it's all about making them.
Getting caught up on my blogs...seriously, that's making lemonade out of some lemons if I do say so myself!!
What a FUN day and the spread and table look BEAUTIFUL!!
Post a Comment