Christmas Eve shopping - Every Christmas Eve we all go shopping. This is something Jon has done since he was a child. His Dad would take him and his brother and sister out to the mall Christmas Eve to buy a present for their mom. Their mom would stay at the house and prepare food for Christmas Day. I don't stay at home and cook. I join in with the shopping. This is the day we set aside for the children to buy Christmas presents for one another and for Jon and I. We always either eat lunch or dinner out somewhere special. This year we decided to stay in our hometown (which doesn't have a mall) and we ate Mexican food out. Yummy!!! We met Jon's parents at the Mexican restaurant.
The Christmas Code - to keep my very bright children from guessing what they get for Christmas, we have something called the Christmas code. Every year I chose a specific way to wrap each of their presents, i.e., color of bow, wrapping paper, sometimes on the tag I will put a number. I never, ever put their name on their presents. If they are able to guess which method of wrapping paper is theirs and why, then they bust the Christmas code. The reward - they get to open one present (chosen by Jon or I) on Christmas Eve night. They have only busted it one year. This year, however, the baby of the family, Hanna, busted it.
Interactive Manger Scene - This is something "Family Life" puts out. It is entitled, "What God Wants for Christmas." You can get them at Christian bookstores. Each character in the manger scene comes inside a gift box that the children open. You tell the Christmas story with each gift that is opened. At the end is present #7. It contains what God wants for Christmas. I don't want to spoil it for anyone. But this is such a very special and precious thing. I love it!!! I also do this with my Wednesday night class at church I teach.
Advent Jesse Tree - This was a new tradition for our family this year, but it will be something we continue for years to come. You start on December 1. Every day you do a devotional and each day has an ornament you place on the tree that coincides with the devotion for that day. The devotions all point out to how Jesus is the Messiah. It weaves in both Old Testament and New Testament. It is WONDERFUL!!!!
Christmas stockings - I LOVE the stockings at Christmas. I always put Reese's peanut better cups in Jon's (his favorite). I guess I am so predictable because when I went to fill up the stockings I looked inside my bag and found out someone had gotten into the Reese's cups. They come 8 in a pack, and only 5 were left. Gee . . . I wonder who could have gotten into them . . Ahem . . . Jon?
Strings and Strings of Yarn - Each child gets a certain colored yarn. Each string begins at the Christmas tree. They have to follow their string and they end up with a present at the end. I get pretty carried away with the yarn. I put their presents in kitchen cabinets, behind couch cushions, in the oven. I just try to be really creative to place their presents in unexpected places. I have so much fun doing this every year. It is a lot of work and pretty time consuming, but well worth it. I just giggle every year as I am up preparing this "spider web" of yarn. To be totally honest, it aggravates Jon just a little bit especially as he was trying to maneuver himself upstairs through the yarn to go to bed, but the kids LOVE it (and so do I)!!!! It makes Christmas morning last extra long, rather than them just tearing into their presents.
After the kids open their presents and play for awhile we light our "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake, sing "Happy Birthday" and blow out the candles. We chose 5 candles for the 5 people in our family. We eat this for breakfast. I also made a breakfast casserole too (per hubby's request).
2 comments:
I love all of your special traditions!!! You are definitely "Christmas Mom of the Year"!
We'll def. have to have a code next year and I already got the tree to do something with advent next year!
You really know how to make Christmas memories and I KNOW your kiddos will never forget how special you made Christmas for them!
Your babies are beautiful! Isn't God good???
I've never seen the yarn thing before! What a great idea!!
When do you take down all of your decorations?
Post a Comment