Friday, December 12, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Present


This will be Jon and I's 13th Christmas together and 12 of those we have been married. Jon is really a great guy, but every Christmas morning all of the stockings on the mantle will be full except for mine. He will then wince and do the, "Aw man, I forgot. I'm so sorry sweetie." Every. Single. Year. That is until year #10. Year #10 I told him not to even think about filling my stocking because I would do it myself and I was going to make up for the last 10 years. My stocking runneth over. I know I spent at least $100 on my stocking. Truth be known, it was probably closer to $150. Did I feel guilty? No way Jose! I was secretly hoping this would teach him a lesson (he's what I call a budget Nazi).

Last Christmas morning after we had all opened our gifts we went to the fireplace for the kids to rummage through their stockings. To my surprise mine was FULL! I saw this note folded up sticking out of my stocking. It said . . .

"Since we've been married this is Christmas eleven
And they will all be spent with you until I'm in heaven
You notice this year that your stocking was stuffed
I finally realized you'd had enough
Although for ten years I may have forgot
My love for you has not lessened a drop
I do not promise I will always remember
To fill your stocking on the 25th of December
But remember this morning as you open your gifts
That everlasting love is more than a myth
You may rise another Christmas morning to find a stocking that's flat
But I'll be there beside you, and I'm sure of that."

I cried like you wouldn't believe, then he cried. I was so very touched. I held this piece of paper all Christmas morning and every time I would read it I would start crying. Jon's parents came over later that morning. I read the poem to them, and they started crying. I was so blessed by Jon's thoughtfulness. The thing is, on Christmas Eve, Jon spent a long time in our home office at the computer. The kids and I even watched a movie (which most of the time Jon will join us for). I just thought maybe he needed some time to himself. He was actually writing this poem.

I kept it folded up in my purse for the longest time, then I decided to frame it. It now sits on a table in my living room for everyone to see.

What about you guys, what is the best give you ever received?

5 comments:

edie said...

Oh my dear mama. This is sooo what happens at our house....minus the very touching poem. I've just learned to shop for my stocking along the way.

This year so far, "One" perfume by D & G and MAC lip gloss.

But oh how incredible to find that little gem in your stocking.

Steve loves me so much every day....all the year through....that i'd take that anyday to a full stocking. A poem would be nice though!

Unknown said...

And then you shared it to your blogger friends and THEY all started crying....

How can we top that story?

I can't really say this was my favorite, but it was the year I cried: The year my mother bought me a bread machine for Christmas. I know, I know, not very romantic, but it was when we were first married and were living on like 800 bucks a month. I loved to bake even way back then and my mom new I was just REALLY wanting a bread maker but couldn't even afford to THINK about one.

When I opened my gift that year I cried like a baby!

Tiffani said...

I LOVE this story!!! I guess you should keep him :)!!

Lindsay said...

omg, my heart is swelling - that was the sweetest thing I've ever read!! :)

I buy most of my own Christmas presents for my husband so I know most of what's in my stocking! (Whatever I buy!) :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

That is THE SWEETEST story EVER! I love it! You've got a sweet guy, and I just know ya'll are gonna have a great weekend.